Pages

Friday, February 21, 2020

Stone and Wood Cairn Earrings

Hi Everyone!

Today, I'm taking some time to play.  I haven't had time lately to try a challenge, but I finally have the energy and time to try one.  One of my favorites is on the We're All Ears challenge with Erin Prais-Hintz on the Earrings Everyday blog.

Here's February's We're All Ears challenge.  It's based on the land art by an artist from Wales, Jon Foreman.  His website, Sculpt the World, shows his amazing natural art.  He uses leaves, shells, stones and sand drawing to create wonderful patterns.

Here is one of his stone patterns:
Sculpt the World
Here are the amazing beads Erin created for the Reveal:

I was so inspired, I had to try something similar.  I had some polymer clay lying around that I bought to try some time ago.  It is Sculpey Premo in Granite, so it's perfect to create rock beads.

Here's what I created - some stone beads, a molded face and a donut.

I took some of the stones, some wood chips and some waxed thread and created some rustic earrings.
Stone and Wood Cairn Earrings
I like the natural woodsy look of these.  Working with the polymer clay turned out to be so fun!  I'm ready to try more!  Now, I need a bead rack, some mica, a clay oven, etc. etc!

Take a look at more of our inspiration at Sculpt the World.  And, check out the other wonderful designs at the Reveal.

6 comments:

  1. Lovely! the stone stacking reminds me of the 7 stones game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I had to look up the game - looks like fun! And, such an ancient history!

      Delete
  2. Wow! So cool! I love those little stones you made. And if you hadn't told me you made them I would have sworn they were natural. Polymer clay is a great mimic. So much you can do with the stuff. I found a great tutorial that gave me a jumping off point to make up my own way. You can also incorporate spices and herbs for some natural inclusions and how about a little sand or dirt! Endless possibilities! Thanks for playing along with me in the We're All Ears challenge! Enjoy the day! Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love! You've done a wonderful job with your beads - Premo Granite was such a clever choice. Their appearance, their texture - all so real-looking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the stacked look of these earrings! And how fun that you made your own beads. Enjoy your explorations with polymer clay!

    ReplyDelete