Pages

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Leaf Coasters with etchall®

Hi Crafters!

Did you know that etchall® etching creme works on slate?  Well, you do if you remember my post from last December when I created an etched slate heart. Yes, that was a while ago!  Today I'm getting back to that batch of slate I bought, and I'm creating a set of slate coasters with etchall® etching creme.  I really like the way etched slate looks and it's so easy to do!

Here are the coasters before etching:
Slate Coasters
Since it's almost fall, I thought I'd create a set of leaf coasters.  I have a Sizzix Big Kick and a Tim Holtz® Tattered Leaves die that I'm using to cut my stencil, but you can use any die you have or cut your own leaves.  Since this die is designed for cutting leaves and not stencils, there is not much of an edge around the leaves, so I used extra tape around the stencils.

I cut a piece of stencil material and ran it through the die cutter.  Since there are three leaves on this die, I cut them apart.


Stencil Placement
After removing the backing, I placed the leaf stencil diagonally on the coaster and rubbed it down so that all the small indentations of the leaf were stuck to the slate.  Since slate has a rough surface, take your time and make sure it adheres everywhere.  The etchall® squeegee does a good job of getting air bubbles out and adhering the stencil to the surface.  Then, cover all the edges with masking tape.
Applying the stencil

Apply the etching creme and let it sit for 15 minutes.  Gently scrape as much of the creme as you can and put it back in the bottle (it's reusable!).  Then rinse thoroughly before removing the stencil and tape.  Since the slate is rough, the stencil picks up pieces of it, so the stencil is not reusable.  
Adding etchall® etching creme

Here are the finished coasters:
Etched Leaf Coasters

Tie them up with a piece of raffia or twine and add a tag.  These make a great hostess gift - tuck them into a basket with a bottle of wine, a couple of (etched) wine glasses and some pretty napkins!

Happy Etching!
Terry
PS  Do you want to try etching with etchall®?  Follow the bee on my sidebar to buy all your etchall® needs.  (I get a small percentage if you order through my site, and as an etchall® ambassador, I receive payment for this post.  All opinions are my own and I would not be a member of the team if I didn't like the product!)


1 comment:

  1. Terrific project, an excellent instructions. This is a project for anyone! Can't wait to make some. :) ~ Karen Wiant

    ReplyDelete