Pages

Monday, December 1, 2014

Designer Crafts Connection: Etched Slate Heart Ornament

Hi Everyone!

It's the first Monday of December!  And, that means another round of the Designer Crafts Connection.  This month we're decorating for the holidays!

This month I'll show you how to etch a slate ornament.  Ever since I heard that etchall® etching creme would work on slate, I have wanted to try it.  So, I ordered some slate pieces including the heart shape I used here.  If you have trouble finding slate, I ordered mine from Factory Direct Crafts, and I must say that the order arrived promptly and in good order.

Here's the slate ornament I designed:
Etched Slate Heart Ornament
I found when working with the slate that some of my stencils would not stick to the surface of the slate.  Since it is a natural material and not smooth like glass, I had to find another material for the stencil.  I had some stencil vinyl in my stash and drew a stencil and cut it out with scissors. 
Stencil
I removed the string from the slate and applied the stencil to the slate. I burnished the edges of the letters several times until I could see the stencil was stuck to the slate.
Stencil applied to slate
After masking the edges of the stencil, I applied a thick layer of etchall® etching creme and timed it for 15 minutes. 
Apply etchall® etching creme
Then, I scraped off and returned the creme to its container and rinsed the stencil area.  Then, I removed the tape and stencil and rinsed the slate again.

Here it is hanging in a wreath:
Etched Slate Heart
I liked the way it looked, but I thought it needed a little more etching.  So, I created another stencil with holly leaves and berries.  I used punches to create the images on this one.
Holly Stencil
Then, I applied the stencil and followed the same procedure as above.
Apply second stencil
I love the rustic look of etching on slate and I can't wait to try the rest of the pieces I ordered.  If you'd like to try it, click on the little bee on the left side of my blog to order your own etchall® etching creme.

And, be sure to check out all the other designers on the Designer Crafts Connection circuit.  Use the big blue DCC button on my sidebar or go to our facebook page.

Have fun crafting and decorating!
Terry





1 comment:

  1. Joy truly does say it all and yet it leaves it up to personal interpretation which is wonderful. Thanks,

    ReplyDelete