Pages

Monday, June 27, 2016

Frosty, the Etched Snowman

Hi all,

I know summer just started here, but I've had this idea for an etched snowman for awhile and it was nagging at me to be created!  Do you have craft ideas that do that to you?  Anyway, a little cool snowman in the midst of the heat wave seemed like a good idea!  After all, half the world is starting winter!
Frosty, the Etched Snowman
Here's how I made my snowman:

I found this glass bowl at my local craft store (JoAnn's). 
 
And, I found this smaller one at a thrift store.
 
Follow the instructions on the etchall® dip 'n etch to etch the bowls.   Here,  I weighted the bowl with water, but you can use other weights to hold it down in the etchall® dip 'n etch.
I etched the larger globe in the same way.  Then, I poured the etchall® dip 'n etch back in the bottle to use next time! 
Here's how the two bowls look placed together before I painted the face.  (No, they're not really blue.)  The smaller one is inverted in the mouth of the larger.  They simply sit together, so that they can be taken apart but you could glue them if you like.

I painted a simple face and coal buttons with acrylic paints using brushes for the eyes, mouth and buttons.  I used a cotton swab for the cheeks. Then, I added some fleece accessories.  The scarf is just a strip of fleece with fringed ends.  The hat is a rectangle rolled into a tube.  I used a rubber band to gather it at the top and fringed it.

Here's the snowman without his hat:
There are so many other ways to decorate this snowman.  Here are just a few ideas - make a clay nose, add arms from chenille stems, use a sock for a hat or paint on a vest.  And, you can use this snowman in a variety of ways - fill it with goodies or add a battery-operated candle. 

I'm going to be on the lookout for more globes and bowls like this and make a whole group of snowmen in different sizes and shapes.  Maybe I'll even knit hats for them!

If this project has peaked your interest and you want to use etchall® dip 'n etch, head to the etchall® website and place your order.  Don't forget to use my code TERRYR for a 10% discount!
Happy etching!
Terry





3 comments: