Pages

Friday, February 1, 2019

Project Embellish Part Two

Hi Everyone!

I wanted to share the results of the Project Embellish Challenge at the AFCI show in Phoenix this past month.  (Can you believe it's already February!)  I have to tell you that it was probably the most exciting thing to happen to me in awhile, so I may be talking about it all year! I am so grateful for the opportunity.

Here is my roommate and I at the show before the challenge:


We were situated on the show floor in a large booth that had places for all six designers around the edge of the rectangle.  The judges sat at one end and Brenda Schweder was in the center along with Susan LeGuyader, Queene Bead Design, who helped us out with 10 minute lessons on the jig if we desired.

Here's a photo of us contestants and Brenda after the challenge.
Project Embellish Challenge
I was in such AMAZING company for this challenge.  Next to me is Jen Cushman, then Monica PenaBrenda is in the center.  Next to the sign is Kymona Tracey, then Cat Kerr, then Carol Foldvary-Anderson.  Take a look at their work.  They are wonderful designers and it was a pleasure to meet those whom I didn't know.

We had to create a necklace in 2 1/2 hours and use elements from each of our sponsors, who were:

Now That's a Jig, the amazing jig system that Brenda Schweder invented
Beadalon, who provided us with Artistic Wire
ImpressArt. maker of products for metal stamping
TierraCast, who makes findings for jewelry making
Xuron Corp., maker of the tools we used
Craftoptics, makers of magnifying eyeglasses
Beads Baubles and Jewels, a popular jewelry-making show
Deflecto, maker of storage caddies and organization systems

We had to use the jig, wire, stamped metal pieces, and TierraCast charms and create a piece in the theme of Charm and Whimsey.  We were judges by three judges, who walked around and observed us as we worked (pressure!).  They were Rita Panulla, from TierraCast, Tamara Honamon, from Interweave, and Tracy Gonzales, from TierraCast.

Here's a link to the finished necklaces.  They were all amazing (I know I'm using that word a lot!).

Here's a photo of my finished piece:
I created in an ocean theme.  I created waves and the necklace with wire on the jig.  I stamped the metal pieces with the words "Under the Sea" and added some patina.  I used the TierraCast charms in two ways - to hold the ribbon that I attached to the wire and hanging in the sea waves.  I added ceramic fish, turtle and starfish beads, blue and green glass beads and some wood pieces.

In addition to using all the elements from the sponsors, Brenda threw in a mystery element that we had to incorporate into our design.  The mystery element was an antique postcard.  I wasn't sure what to do with it.  My postcard had roses and leaves on it and didn't go with my colors or theme.  Time was running out!  Then, I had the idea to cut up the postcard and make rolled beads with it.  They looked like messages in a bottle or a rolled treasure map.  Whew!  To finish the necklace, I attached ribbon and made a toggle with a crystal and loop.

I was delighted (and, amazed!!) to be awarded Runner Up!  And, again a big thank you to the sponsors from which I received this prize.


Thanks for stopping by!  This was so much fun and I hope AFCI will bring it back next year.  These necklaces were auctioned off and the money generated was donated to Beads of Courage.  This charity provides kits for children in hospital with serious illnesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment